Celebrate your child’s next birthday party at the Transit Museum! Led by the Museum’s enthusiastic and skilled Education staff, our parties for children 3 and up bring to life over 100 years of transit lore.
All parties include:
- Two Museum staff members, dedicated exclusively to your party and your guests
- Exclusive use of our R-42 Gallery space
- A special, kid- and adult-friendly interactive guided tour or Scavenger Hunt of the Museum
- Craft activity (see “Activities” below for more information)
- Set-up and clean-up assistance
- A 10% discount for current Museum members. Non-members will receive a year-long Family membership, so you can continue to enjoy the Transit Museum all year long!
1. The Transit Museum Birthday Party is intended for one child celebrant or twin siblings, age 3-11. We do not accept reservations split across multiple families.
2. The flat rate fee includes up to 30 guests, in any combination of children or adults. The fee for additional guests is $10 per person.
3. To create a safe and engaging experience for all guests of the Transit Museum, we maintain a firm limit of 50 total people (children and adults, including the birthday family).
$525 (Current Museum Members: $472.50)
Saturdays and Sundays from 10:30AM – 12:00PM or 2:00 – 3:30PM
Parties are 90 minutes and include time for cake in our party space.
$650 (Current Museum Members: $585)
Saturdays and Sundays from 10:30AM – 12:30PM or 2:00 – 4:00PM
Parties are 2 hours and include enough time in our party space for both pizza and cake!
All parties are followed by a 15 minute clean up period, after which guests are escorted from the party area. You may remain in the Museum to enjoy our other exhibitions.
Cakes or cupcakes and beverages for Express Parties and additional food, such as pizza, bagels or platters for Local Parties may be purchased from vendors of your choice. The Museum also has a list of local, recommended vendors for your consideration. Alcoholic beverages including beer and wine are prohibited at children’s parties.
Your party will include a craft activity led by the Museum’s Education staff.
- Design A Vehicle: your guests will craft plain boxes into fun, colorful buses and trains, with wheels that really roll!
- Miles of Tiles: kids will create their own mosaics, inspired by art on subway platforms and by their own imaginations!
In lieu of a guided tour of our subway cars, you can choose the Scavenger Hunt option, where your kids can explore the vintage trains on our platform, seeking out designs and details from past eras! (*for party guests who are at an early reading level or higher)
Not included in the cost of your party are paper goods or party favors. A $50 Party Pack is available, and includes napkins, plates, cups, forks and spoons, tablecloths and decorations. You may also contact the Museum Store to purchase party favors or put together transit-themed goody bags.
Make Your Reservation!
Click here to fill out an online Birthday Party request form. [January 2019 Birthday Parties will be made available from this link on Thursday, November 1, 2018 beginning at 12am EST]
Parties are booked up to 3 months in advance. Dates fill quickly, so please submit a request as soon as you are able!
PLEASE NOTE THAT BIRTHDAY PARTIES ARE FULLY BOOKED THROUGH DECEMBER 2018. WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING RESERVATIONS FOR OCTOBER, NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER 2018 BIRTHDAY PARTIES.
JANUARY 2019 DATES WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 1, 2018.
ONLINE FORMS SUBMITTED BEFORE NOVEMBER 1 WILL NOT BE PLACED IN THE QUEUE FOR JANUARY 2019 AND LATER DATE REQUESTS.
A non-refundable $100 deposit is required to hold your requested date.
Parties rebooked less than three weeks in advance of the original booking date are subject to a $75 rebooking fee.