Jewel in the Crown: Old City Hall Station Tour
Wednesday, November 8th, 2023
2:00 PM ET
In 1904, New York City’s very first subway ride left from the City Hall Station amidst great civic pride. With exclusive access through the New York Transit Museum, explore the elegant chandeliers, leaded skylights, vaulted tile ceiling, and graceful curves of this decommissioned subway station.
The tour begins above ground with the fascinating history of Alfred Beach’s Pneumatic Tube and the development of City Hall and the subway system. Then head underground to explore the station designed by renowned architects George Heins & Christopher LaFarge, with innovative vaulted tile ceilings by master artisan Rafael Guastavino. Tours last approximately 90 minutes.
Though its track is still active as a turnaround for the 6 line, trains no longer stop at Old City Hall station. New York Transit Museum members have the unique opportunity to explore this New York landmark through exclusive guided tours.
Tickets are $50 per person, and will be available at 10am ET on Thursday, August 3rd to Transit Museum members only.
This tour date is SOLD OUT.
Registration for Jewel in the Crown: Old City Hall Station is a two-step process:
1. First, become a member! Then go to your selected tour’s page and log into your membership account at the top right-hand corner of the page (if you are already a member, you may need to reset your password). Then click the registration link to purchase ticket(s). You can buy as many tickets as there are people covered by your membership. Ticket allowances for each Membership Level are available here. If you are not yet a member, join now to access all the perks of membership.
2. Second, all ticket holders, including the purchaser and any intended guests, must provide a copy of a government-issued ID and sign the Visitor Release form within 48 hours of your ticket purchase. Old City Hall Station is a restricted access site, and all visitors must comply with the security process.
A link to the ID submission and Visitor Release form will be included in your confirmation email.
Each ticket holder (except those ages 10-17) are required to complete this step. If you are purchasing tickets for additional guests, you must forward the link to the form to them as they will not receive a separate email.
If you are purchasing a ticket for a youth ages 10-17, you will include their names on your form in the space designated.
Failure to complete both steps will result in the cancellation of your registration and your ticket cost will be converted into a tax-deductible donation to the New York Transit Museum.
- All ticket sales are final. If you cannot attend the tour on the date you reserved or do not submit security materials in time, the total price of unused tickets will be treated as a donation to the Transit Museum and is tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. Tickets are non-refundable, cannot be transferred to another tour date, and cannot be used by another individual. Please note: Museum guest passes, special caregiver and child add-ons are valid only for Museum admission, not special tours.
- Children must be 10+ to attend an Old City Hall Station tour and must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Tours run rain or shine, and require walking, standing, and stair climbing. Restrooms are not available on the tour route and there may not be places to sit or amenities like climate control. The tour lasts approximately 90 minutes, with about 20 minutes in the Old City Hall Station (which can be noisy).
- Please wear comfortable shoes (flip flops and backless shoes are prohibited) and dress appropriately for the weather as the first part of our tour takes place above ground. Feel free to bring a water bottle to stay hydrated. We will spend about 20 minutes in City Hall subway station, where it is loud and there is no seating or restroom.
- Masks are encouraged but are not required.
- Personal photography and video recording are permitted in Old City Hall station. However, tripods, selfie sticks, and stands may not be used. Commercial photography and video recording are not permitted. Audio or video recording of tour guides for personal use requires pre-authorization through the Museum’s press department. Permission to photograph may be revoked at any time.
- Old City Hall Station is not available for film shoots, photo shoots, or private events.
- To buy a ticket, create an account in our online ticketing system. If you bought your membership online, you likely already set this up! If you’ve never bought tickets from us online before, create an account here. You do not need your membership card or number to buy tickets. Also, note that our ticketing website is different from our online store and the two accounts are not connected. Please note: Our password requirements have changed. If you have not logged into your account recently, we recommend updating your password prior to the sale.
Questions? Email [email protected].
For information on American Sign Language interpreters, Assistive Listening Devices, or other accessibility matters please visit nytransitmuseum.org/accessibility.
Image: City Hall Photo, MTA New York City Transit
LocationOld City Hall Station, New York
Could not find route!
Weather data is currently not available for this location
Wind stec_replace_current_wind stec_replace_current_wind_units stec_replace_current_wind_direction
Humidity stec_replace_current_humidity %
Feels like stec_replace_current_feels_like °stec_replace_current_temp_units
Next 24 Hours
Powered by openweathermap.org