Know Before You Visit
The New York Transit Museum is excited to welcome visitors back to our Court Street station home. Advanced tickets, masks, and proof of vaccination are required. For the health and safety of our visitors and staff, we have updated our schedule and policies. Here’s what you need to know before you visit.
Fridays through Sundays, 11am to 4pm
RESERVE YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE
- All visitors, including members, must reserve tickets online in advance.
- Please do not arrive more than 5 minutes before your reservation time. You will have a 30 minute window, starting at the time of your reservation, during which you may enter the Museum.
- Each entrance time has limited capacity to allow for more space to explore the Museum safely and comfortably.
- You will not be able to re-enter the Museum after you have exited.
- Tickets must be shown upon arrival and can either be printed in advance or shown on a mobile device.
- Tickets are non-refundable. If you are unable to visit due to illness, you may transfer tickets to a future date as space allows. Please contact us at least 24 hours before your original ticket time if you need to reschedule your visit.
Please don’t visit the Museum if you:
- are feeling sick for any reason.
- are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19
- have been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the past 14 days or
- have been in close contact with someone infected with or experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.
- Contact [email protected] if you need to reschedule your ticket(s) due to illness.
WEAR A MASK
- All visitors 2 years and older must wear a mask covering the mouth and nose at all times when inside the Museum, even if you are vaccinated. No exceptions will be made. Face shields alone are not sufficient. Bandanas, scarves, gaiters, and masks with one-way valves are not adequate face coverings.
- For the health and safety of all visitors and staff, we are not able to accommodate those who are unable to wear a mask. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Please explore the Museum’s website for virtual programs and other online resources, and we look forward to welcoming you when you are able to return.
PROOF OF VACCINATION
In compliance with the New York City mandate, upon entry all Transit Museum visitors 12 years and older must show proof that they have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and a valid I.D.
Proof of vaccination may include:
- NYC COVID Safe app: Android | iOS
- Excelsior Pass
- CDC Vaccination Card (or photo of card)
- NYC Vaccination Record
- An official immunization record from outside NYC or the U.S.
Valid I.D. includes your name accompanied by a photograph OR your date of birth, such as:
- Driver’s license
- Government I.D. card
- IDNYC card
- School I.D. card
All out-of-state visitors must follow health and safety protocols required by the New York State COVID-19 Travel Advisory, which may include quarantine.
STAND CLEAR OF OTHER VISITORS, PLEASE
- Visitors are asked to practice physical distancing. The Museum’s floor tiles are 3 feet wide, so it’s easy to tell when you’re getting too close—just keep two tiles between yourself and other visitors.
- The Museum does not have a bag or coat check. Please do not bring large bags to the Museum to allow more space for visitors in exhibits. There is an unattended stroller parking area at the back of the Museum.
- While photography is allowed during your visit, photoshoots, personal or professional, are not currently permitted at the Transit Museum. Masks are required at all times, including while taking photos.
- Please click here to read our photography/video policy.
- For the health and safety of all visitors, Museum staff may ask you or your child to wear or adjust your mask, or keep a safe distance from others. Please respect Museum staff and follow their requests. The Museum reserves the right to ask visitors who do not follow guidelines and staff requests to leave the premises.
- If you see another visitor that is not following the rules, do not approach them. You may inform a Museum staff member who may follow up with the visitor(s).
- If you see that two groups, or 4 individuals, are already enjoying the inside of one of our vintage train cars, please visit a different train car and come back to that one when fewer people are on board.
- Eating is not allowed anywhere in the Museum at this time. Therefore, visitors may not bring in food and there are no lunch tables available for visitor use.
OUR SUBWAY STATION HOME
The Museum is located in a decommissioned subway station.
- When you arrive, look for a subway station entrance on the Northwest corner of Boerum Place and Schermerhorn Street—that’s us! The stairway will lead you down to the Museum.
- There is no cell phone service in the Museum. If you plan to visit with others, we recommend coordinating in advance and entering together.
- We are an historic site and do not have an elevator. Heavy strollers are best left at home (or be prepared to carry them down multiple flights of stairs), as our accessible entrance is not equipped to safely carry strollers or accept any deliveries.
- While a few of our exhibits on the mezzanine have air conditioning and heat, a majority of the Museum (including the entire platform level with our historic trains), does not have climate control.
- If you or someone in your group will need to use the accessible entrance, you may let us know in advance of your visit at [email protected] to help us ensure timely assistance.
- For more information about accessibility at the Museum, please visit our accessibility page.
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public space where people are present. We cannot guarantee that you will not be exposed to COVID-19 during your visit. Those visiting the New York Transit Museum do so at their own risk of exposure.
Affiliates and reciprocal members, including Cool Culture Family Pass holders, museum employees, as well as to members of institutions worldwide that participate in the ASTC and Time Travelers programs, please book your advanced tickets here.