Behind the Scenes: Substation #13
Sunday, March 5 | 11:00 am - 1:00 pmSOLD OUT
When New York’s first subway opened on October 27, 1904, Substation #13 was one of eight powering the line. Located in Midtown Manhattan, the substation remained active until December 15th, 1999 when all 25 cycle power feeders from the IRT 59th Street Powerhouse were cut. While this substation was modernized with new power equipment to continue energizing the subway, it still contains two original rotary converters and switchboards installed over 115 years ago. Join long-time Museum guide and historian Robert W. Lobenstein, former General Superintendent for Power Systems at New York City Transit, to tour Substation #13 and see its equipment, including the recently-restored Rotary #1.
(Museum Members Only)
Children must be 10+ to attend and accompanied by an adult at all times. To be admitted to this restricted site, participants must provide a copy of a government-issued ID for a background check, and must sign a release immediately after purchasing tickets.