- This event has passed.
Vintage Bus Bash on Governors Island
July 8, 2017 | 11:00 am - 4:00 pmFREE with Ferry Ticket
Over the river and through the boroughs to Governors Island we go! On Saturday, July 8th, the New York Transit Museum, in partnership with the Department of Buses, will be bringing four vintage buses to Governors Island for a summer getaway. Come see iconic “fishbowl” windows, the city’s first air-conditioned transit bus, and more. No MetroCard needed – you can see and step aboard these historic transit vehicles of the past for free! Buses will be parked on Colonels Row and open for exploration.
To get to Governors Island, you must take a ferry. For information on ferry fares and schedules, and to learn more about Governors Island, visit the Governors Island website.
Meet the buses:
Bus 3100 (1956) was the first air conditioned transit bus to operate in New York City and one of the first nationwide. Owned and operated by Fifth Avenue Coach Lines, the prototype bus was designed and built to demonstrate innovative, updated features, including push-type rear exit doors, wrap-around bench soft seating for the back of the bus, fluorescent lighting, and the air-ride suspension that is still the standard today.
Bus 9098 (1958) was the first bus in New York equipped with sliding windows. Manufactured by General Motors, Model TDH 5106 debuted in 1958 and introduced the two-tone green color scheme, which later became a standard for the era. Buses from this 1958 order were the last “Old Look” style buses purchased by the New York City Transit Authority.
Bus 100 (1959) was among the first group of 190 buses that introduced the “New Look” or “Fishbowl” style to New York City. Developed by GMC, the “New Look” design — featuring the large bubble-shaped windshield, single-piece destination sign, and parallelogram windows — prevailed for twenty years, until the boxier “Advanced Design” bus style was introduced in 1980.
Bus 5227 (1971) was one of 350 GM “New Look” buses from the NYC Transit fleet sent to the Blitz Corporation of Chicago for complete overhaul and rebuilding in 1984 – 1985. When they were returned to New York, renumbered in the “5000-series,” they were known as “Blitz Buses,” and featured hard, blue lengthwise seating.
Equipment subject to change.