Relive the experience of traveling through New York City during the early, mid, and late twentieth century! Explore our hands-on collection of vintage subway and elevated cars and exhibits that share the rich story of public transportation. Discover the history, technology, design, and future of transportation with our expert staff.
Group tours are perfect for adults, active seniors, and college or university groups. Choose from the following tours:
Discover the magnitude and complexity of New York City’s public transportation system by exploring elements of construction, social history, engineering, and impact over time in this introduction to transit history.
Immigration and Transportation
From the immigrant workforce who built the subway to transportation’s influence on neighborhood development, the story of our diverse City comes alive through discussion, photographs, and subway stories. Recommended for fourth and eighth grade students studying immigration.
One city, one fare, one community of riders. Investigate the environmental, social, and economic sustainability of transportation over time using the Museum’s vintage train cars, collections, and exhibits that tell the story of moving the masses.
Ready to Ride
Offered for 6th graders through adults with developmental and/or learning disabilities, this program is an introduction to independent subway travel in the safe environment of our subway station museum. To see a video of the program in action, click here.
Tour and Museum Information
- 90 minute tours available for groups of 10-30 participants
- Tours may be scheduled Tuesday through Friday at 1:30pm or 2:30pm
- Reservations are required for group visits. We recommend requesting your reservation at least two weeks in advance.
- Visit the museum gift shop before or after your tour
- Groups may bring lunch or refreshments to eat in our lunch room
- The Museum is down two flights of stairs. Please notify us in advance if anyone in your group requires a wheelchair lift.
- For additional information about accessibility, please click here.
- Due to space constraints, self-guided groups are not permitted.
To request a reservation, please complete an online request form.
Transit Museum tours are priced based on the number of participants. We offer special rates for senior groups.
|Group Participants||Adult & College Rate||Senior Rate|
|Up to 15||$125||$105|
|16 – 20||$175||$140|
|21 – 30*||$225||$210|
*Groups larger than 30 participants will be split into more than one group tour.
To request a reservation please complete an online request form. Once submitted, our Reservations Coordinator will contact you to schedule your visit. Please note a $50.00 deposit is required to secure your reservation.
For any additional information, please call (718) 694 – 1848 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.