Fees, Reproductions and Licensing
The New York Transit Museum charges fees for the reproduction and licensing of items from its historical collections. Licensing fees are applied to images the museum holds the copyright to. In the case of images in the public domain or to which we do not hold the copyright, only reproduction fees are charged. These fees help to defray the cost of preserving and cataloging our materials in order to broaden access to our materials.
- Researchers are permitted to photograph collections materials using a hand-held camera without flash for research purposes only
- Photographs, maps, manuscripts, and other archival materials must remain in their enclosures
- All materials must remain flat on the table and the photographer’s feet must remain on the floor at all times
- Tripods and other equipment is not permitted
Photocopies and Digital Documents
- Photocopies and PDF scans are provided for reference purposes only
- Copies are made at the Archivists’ discretion, in function of the item’s fragility and general condition. We reserve the right to refuse to photocopy certain collections if it may cause harm to the original
- Photocopies cost 25 cents per page; large orders are sent by mail
- PDF scans cost $1 per page and are sent by email
- Large orders may not be fulfilled the same day they are requested
Digital Image Files
- Scanning is performed using an Epson Perfection V800 Photo flatbed scanner and Colortrac SmartLF SG
- To search a selection of our holdings, please search the online digital collections
- Materials that have not previously been scanned are subject to a new scan fee
- Please allow for a minimum of five working days for photographs and material scanning orders
- Please indicate a deadline for your request. Rush orders are subject to a surcharge calculated as 50% of your total research costs
- Digital files are sent via Dropbox
Unable to visit the New York Transit Museum Archives in person?
For researchers who are unable to make a visit to our locations, we offer remote research assistance to respond to your individual research needs. Please note that if you require a response in less than 24 hours, there is a fee to accommodate the quick turn-around time.
Local Service: Free of Charge
- Use “Local Service” reference service to get answers to simple reference or specific questions
- This service includes up to 1 hour of professional staff research time
- For example: When did the Bay Ridge Avenue station open? When was select bus service introduced in the Bronx? What train would a person have taken to go from Astoria to Coney Island in 1935? What did the interior of an R33 look like?
In-Depth Research: $25/hour
- Questions that require fact-checking, or more open-ended queries may require more thorough digging through our materials. We are happy to do this on your behalf! This service is for requests that exceed 60 minutes of professional staff research time and include up to 5 pages of relevant scans.
- For example: I am looking for information about the history of fare increase.
Express Service: $25
- Use “Express Service” to receive an answer to a question in less than 24 hours.
- This service includes up to 1 hour of professional staff research time – any additional staff research time will be charged as per “In-Depth Research”